Declining Oil Reserves

Ted Kegebein kegebein at planttel.net
Tue Mar 14 17:09:05 EST 2000

David South wrote:

> Ted Kegebein wrote:

> > > Those interested in hydrogen fuel (that originates from other energy
> > > sources such as oil or solar) should see info regarding "Power balls."
> > >
> > > http://www.powerball.net/inside/index.shtml
> >
> > Interesting link, David.  But, has the world forgot the Hindenburg?
> >
> > Ted
> > tweaking Linux for the next century
>
> Dear Ted:
>
> What is your alternative to using fossil fuels to power automobiles for
> the next century?

I have no problem with Hydrogen. I recognize the fact that every
human endavor has risks.  But I also understand that the news
media will replay the Hindenburg every time any Hydrogen tank
explodes.

As far as alternatives, I'm all for damming up every mud puddle
in America, Nuclear Power, Using the Methane reserves off-shore,
Solar Power, Power Cells, Biomass,  Oil exploration in Alaska, and
any other means which would lessen our dependency on a bunch
of Sheiks.

> ==============
>
> Many people have died from using "natural gas" in their homes (so what)!
> Many people have died from using "electricity" in thier homes (so what)!
> Many people have died from driving their cars (so what)!
> A number of people have died due to producing nuclear power.
>
> I almost always find the objections to using a renewable energy source -
> such as hydrogen produced from solar power (over that of fossil fuels)
> interesting.  I understand my great-great-grandmother did not like the
> idea of cooking over a wood stove! (she liked using a fireplace).
>
> Is a Powerball Water Tank Safe?
>
>                             A Powerball/Water tank does not have to be
> kept at near absolute zero. Large
>                             compressors are not needed for refueling. In
> fact, to refuel a Powerball/Water tank
>                             all that needs to be done is, 1) remove
> waste hydroxide and skins, 2)pour in water,
>                             3)dump in Powerballs, and the system is
> refueled ready for use. If a
>                             Powerball/Water tank is cut, ripped, or
> severely damaged, all that happens is water
>                             and spheres spill out. You get the crack
> fixed or buy a new tank, refill with spheres
>                             and water and all is well again. (A far
> different scenario than that of a compressed
>                             hydrogen tank) There is very little pure
> hydrogen in a Powerball/Water tank.
>                             Hydrogen is produced from the water
> incrementally, and on demand. You never
>                             have to worry about a large hydrogen
> explosion because no more than about
>                             one-tenth of an ounce of pure hydrogen is
> ever produced in advance at any one time.
>                             The hydrogen from a Powerball/Water tank is
> consumed directly after it is produced
>                             by either a fuel cell or a combustion engine
> (see Moller International in Davis or Bill
>                             Kaiser at AMD in Highland, California for
> hydrogen combustion information).
>
>                             A Powerball/Water tank can hold a few
> hundred or a few million spheres, depending
>                             on the size of the tank. If the skin of one
> individual Powerball is removed, and the
>                             sodium hydride inside the skin reacts with
> the water around it, no problems are
>                             created for the adjacent spheres. They
> remain intact and content. The hydrogen
>                             produced by the one reacting sphere bubbles
> to the top and is used normally. In an
>                             extreme case where, for some unknown reason,
> the coatings of many spheres are
>                             somehow removed and enough hydrogen is
> produced to increase the pressure
>                             beyond what the tank is rated for (around
> 200 psi) then some hydrogen would be
>                             released through a pressure relief valve at
> the top of the tank.

No matter how safe it is, if the public doesn't perceive it as
safe, it will never gain much market share.  However, attitudes
can and do change.