Declining Oil Reserves

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Mar 14 18:34:13 EST 2000

Karl Davies wrote:

> David South wrote:
>
> > For info see:
> >
> > http://www-bionik.fb10.tu-berlin.de/intseit2/xs2solar.html
> >
> > http://www.gri.org/cgi-bin/re?url=http%3A//www.gri.org/pub/abstracts/gri85_0081.html
>
> What's the energy cost in this process compared to the energy return?
>
> > Feb. 17 —  With Iceland’s blessing,
> > DaimlerChrysler and Shell on Wednesday
> > announced plans to try to turn the tiny country
> > into the world’s first “hydrogen economy” —
> > eventually replacing gasoline and diesel on all of
> > its cars, buses and fishing fleet with nonpolluting
> > hydrogen.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.com/news/242000.asp
>
> How is the hydrogen made and what's the energy cost of doing it compared to the energy value
> of the hydrogen?

I don't know much about this- but I think it's done with old fashioned electrolysis from water.
Getting it out of water is no big deal as long as you have a lot of energy to do it. It could be
done with energy that would otherwise go to waste- like hydro power being made at night- which
if it's not stored will be wasted. In our area we have that pumped storage project up on a
mountain in southern Vermont- energy produced at night from other sources is used to pump the
water up the mountain for use during peak hours. So, any kind of energy source can be used to
produce hydrogen- but it will always take more to produce it then the energy in the hydrogen
which is actually sensible if that original energy would otherwise be wasted.

Like, another example, assuming nukes were OK, then at night you can't just turn the nukes off
at night- so you have it produce hydrogen which can be stored.

The real problem isn't producing it- it's how to safely use it and safely distribute it- but
those should be solvable problems. The hydrogen could be chemically converted to some other
compounds which will burn, but which are less explosive.

--
Joe  Zorzin
Massachusetts Licensed Forester #261