The Awful Truth

Raymond Brown rrbrown at air.on.ca
Tue Mar 14 19:04:19 EST 2000

Karl,

If I may I would like to add a little Ontario (Canadian) twist to the discussion.
Fist of all I am relatively young and so have not experienced that much of
forestry.  I have been a part of the forestry scene for only tens years now, and I
consider that to be a developing rookie.

Here in Ontario, 18 months after graduation a forester is licensed as an RPF or
Registered Professional Forester.  Doesn't mean much really, unless you are a
forester who signs management plans on Crown land.  From what I have been told,
legislation is in place to change this.  According to what I have been told, 18
months after graduation a forester will have to right an exam to get their RPF
status.  At this point they can be sued for malpractise if you can prove
mismanagement of the publics forest (89% of our forest is public).  Proving
malpractise will require progressive judges, since they probably don't know much
about biology or forestry.  As for state or in our case provincial foresters, they
tend to stay out of the private land game.  They will offer some basic advice for
landowners, but that is it.  For more extensive information or work the provincial
forester will pass the landowner onto a private land consultant such as myself.  I
am licensed to write management plans on private land, and it is requiered that I
write and Pass (75%) a written exam every year.  Although this is challenging, it
adds credibility.  Our goverenment got out of the private forestry business about 4
years ago.  It was to expensive for them.  Now I offer tax breaks to landowners who
practise good Forest Stewardship (75% of property taxes over five years).  Just an
example, here, but I recently wrote a plan for a landowner who owns 175 acres of
forest.  They wanted to remove it all over five years.  After viewing the site I
came to the conclusion that none of their woodlot should be harvested.  Access was a
problem, finding a reputable logger was next to impossible and there is a monopoly
in their area concerning sawmill owners.  In return for their tax break, they will
monitor their woodlot, through photographs and a special report I have made for them
and they will take some forest workshop courses, view the internet to learn more and
read books about forestry from the library.  Education is the key.  Landowners are
smart people who can learn the whole story.  Then they can make an educated
management decision about their property in five years from now.

As for your other comments about loggers and industry, the same thing happens here.
There are bad apples everywhere.  It is all about greed. remember the story about
"the Commons".  In no uncertain terms that is there arguement, as weak as it may
be.  These logger types will always be around, we as foresters, need to work to put
them out business by not recommending them to landowners and not selling wood to the
mills that hire these scrupulous individuals.

Well thats it for now, my fingers are sore, I am not a secretary, just a forester,
HAHAHA!!!

Bye for now