Ban on Special Forest Products?

greenenuf at my-deja.com greenenuf at my-deja.com
Fri Mar 17 16:45:28 EST 2000

Hi All:
I need some information if you know anything about a ban on the
collection of special forest products, such as mushrooms, firewood,
greens and such on National Forests in California.
I got a rather agitated phone call today from a longtime friend and
fellow mushroom hunter who has been trying for several weeks to get a
personal use, non-commercial permit to collect mushrooms on one of the
National Forests here in Southern California. He spoke with a district
ranger who claimed that he could not issue a permit because the National
Forests in Calif (sounds like he means Region 5) are enjoined from
issuing permits for the collection of special forest products (SFPs)
because they are being sued by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD)
for not following NEPA guidelines in granting permits for SFPs. BTW,
I'd prefer not to name the National Forest or the official until I know
a bit more on this.
I knew from my other contacts in the USFS that they recently settled a
lawsuit with the CBD on very unfavorable terms, but I could not find
any reference to SFPs in any of the information about the lawsuit
settlement. I went to the CBD website <http://www.sw-center.org> to see
if this was perhaps a different lawsuit, but could find no mention of it
there. There was also NO mention of a ban on SFP collection on any of
the USFS Region 5 websites that I visited.
The whole thing seems very suspicious to me. I am concerned that the
ranger concocted the story about a lawsuit just to avoid granting the
permit. I am going to contact some other USFS folks to see if they know
anything about this.
In the meantime, if anyone has any solid information about such a ban on
the issuance of permits for SFPs, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Gene Wheeler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.