Ban on Special Forest Products?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Mar 18 00:08:05 EST 2000

In article <8au91n$59l$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
greenenuf at my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi All:
> I need some information if you know anything about a ban on the
> collection of special forest products, such as mushrooms, firewood,
> greens and such on National Forests in California.
> I got a rather agitated phone call today from a longtime friend and
> fellow mushroom hunter who has been trying for several weeks to get a
> personal use, non-commercial permit to collect mushrooms on one of the
> National Forests here in Southern California. He spoke with a district
> ranger who claimed that he could not issue a permit because the National
> Forests in Calif (sounds like he means Region 5) are enjoined from
> issuing permits for the collection of special forest products (SFPs)
> because they are being sued by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD)
> for not following NEPA guidelines in granting permits for SFPs. BTW,
> I'd prefer not to name the National Forest or the official until I know
> a bit more on this.
> I knew from my other contacts in the USFS that they recently settled a
> lawsuit with the CBD on very unfavorable terms, but I could not find
> any reference to SFPs in any of the information about the lawsuit
> settlement. I went to the CBD website <http://www.sw-center.org> to see
> if this was perhaps a different lawsuit, but could find no mention of it
> there. There was also NO mention of a ban on SFP collection on any of
> the USFS Region 5 websites that I visited.
> The whole thing seems very suspicious to me. I am concerned that the
> ranger concocted the story about a lawsuit just to avoid granting the
> permit. I am going to contact some other USFS folks to see if they know
> anything about this.
> In the meantime, if anyone has any solid information about such a ban on
> the issuance of permits for SFPs, please let me know.
> Thanks in advance,
> Gene Wheeler

I've heard of the ban and received a copy of the proposed legislation
(which may have since been passed). I believe that Rex Schwarzendruber
posted the regs to alt.forestry about 2 months ago. And to be honest, I
think it is probably a good idea. It affects only those SFPs which have
not been fully addressed to date. It does not affect such things as
bough collection for wreaths nor berries for foodstuffs. It does address
any SFP which has not been studied (most), and allows these SFPs grown
on private lands to be more competitive in the market.

This gives tremendous impetous to anyone who has private forest land to
cultivate fungus for commercial production. The propose regs I saw
affect _only_ state, fed and BLM lands, and have no force of law over
any private lands.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/