[saf-news] Mutant Tree Press Release from Biodev 3/27/00

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Tue Mar 28 21:29:14 EST 2000

Patrick Moore wrote:

> Dear Karl Davies,
> Are you aware of the fact that mutation is the driving force behind all
> evolution. Without mutation, the random restructuring of DNA by radiation,
> chemicals, etc., the world of life as we know it could not exist.
> Humans are part of nature, 100% a part of nature. What we are doing is
> natural, if God had not meant us to discover and create He would have made
> us imbeciles.

First, what makes you think God is a He?  Have you met Him personally?  Or did
you just read that somewhere? <G> Second, what makes you think deliberately
crossing species boundaries is natural?  Third, what makes you think some forms
of discovery and creation are not imbecilic?  Nuclear power and Beanie Babies
come to mind.

> You are using the word "mutant" in a totally unprofessional manner, as if
> you were writing the script for a scary science fiction movie.

Right, it's called REVENGE OF THE FRANKENTREES.

> The truth is,
> some mutations are useful for the survival of some species and others are
> not, it mainly depends on whose side you are on in the food chain.

Or how high up you are on the corporate ladder.  Or how well paid you are to
produce flack for corporate interests. <G>

> Besides, genetic engineering has nothing to do with mutations, the genes
> that are being moved around are perfectly un-mutated ones.
> Where do you get your information?

Dr Vandana Shiva- Keynote Address 3/24/00 (sound: realaudio)
http://w2.loudeye.com/imc/uploads/boston/vandana.ram

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
http://www.daviesand.com

Northeastern Forestry Reformation List Server
http://www.igc.topica.com/lists/nefr-list