NSO Compensation

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue May 23 05:44:06 EST 2000

In article <MPG.1392dae1c63d25d098a83e at news.teleport.com>,
  Larry Caldwell <larryc at teleport.com> wrote:
> In article <B54EA7F996683A529 at 0.0.0.0>, further@***inh.co.jp writes:
>
> > In any case, you could come up with a better example than SDS if you want
> > to elicit any sympathy here. SDS (the landowner ins the case) are rich
> > land-rapers (local, rather than monster corporate version). In the case you
> > cite they still have the land, still have the timber and two point
> > something million bucks for their
> > inconvenience? I should be so lucky.
>
> I was wondering about that.  It seems to me that an equitable law would
> pay the landowner for the lost revenue, but place a lien on the timber in
> case the NSO pair ever moved on and logging could resume.  The landowner
> should be responsible for repaying the public for the principle, though
> not the interest, since he would have had the use of the money without
> the gummint intervention.
>
> That's what happens when you let courts make the laws.
>
> And I don't see that a couple million bucks makes SDS rich.  After all,
> they only get to log every 50 years or so.  That puts them below the
> median family income.
>
> The big problem with the unfunded regulation of forestry is that most
> private landowners, both large and small, just make damned sure there is
> no NSO habitat on their land.  They can't afford the hit from the ESA, so
> they just make sure it never becomes an issue.  If the public wants to
> protect endangered species, the public is going to have to start
> accepting the responsibility to pay for it.
>
> -- Larry

I must have missed some of the original thread, Larry. But I'm one of
those lucky few who have a pair of NSO nesting and reproducing on their
property. There also seems to be some problems with harvest in regards
to other threatened species also on the property: cutthroat trout are
known from a tiny stream downhill from me.

Since cutthroat trout are native to almost any creek in the Willamette
Valley of Oregon under 2500 feet elevation (and some higher elevations)
this puts even more of a crimp with management decisions.

Fortunately, since I don't believe clearcutting is smart management, it
hasn't affected me much yet. But who knows about the future? It sure
sounds like if the government has to pay _something_ to manage EDS on
private property, it should pay more for _2_ EDS, right?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.