truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Mon Nov 6 10:44:22 EST 2000

In article <39F5D8D2.9F241A8E at tc.umn.edu>,
  Paul Bramscher <brams006 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> Well, the basic problem with the environment to libertarians is that (a)
> by definition the environment transcends the individual (both in terms
> of space and time).  In fact, it transcends nations and generations. (b)
> And through many historical examples private industry has been an
> ecosystem's worst nightmare.
Industry _can be_ a nightmare for the environment. But I think it may
also be the environment's salvation. Take my own small business, for
example. Truffles are examples of mycorrhizal fungi. Without these fungi,
conifers (which make up a majority of forests here in the West) would not
exist. For the most part, these fungi are unknown or little known. In the
past 15 years I've found at least 30 collections of new species.

Without knowing the interactions of these fungi and their host plants
(typically trees) ecosystems may be doomed anyway. Sure, macrofauna get
the bulk of attention in ecosystem maintenance. But the things that make
the ecosystem work are the symbiotic relationships within the system.

By learning how to cultivate (or at least enhance production) of these
essential forest elements, a whole new range of potential forest products
emerges. For example, some 3,000 species of mycorrhizal fungi are found
with Douglas fir alone. Since only about 100 of these currently have
economic impact, I'd say there is considerable room for expansion.

Undoubtedly as more of these products become available, a more symbiotic
relationship between trees, fungi and man will also develop.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

> Letting the market control the forests is like letting a cat be in
> charge of the mice, eh?  Eat 'em all up, then move on to some other
> tasty morsel that'll feed the stomache.  Birds or squirrels maybe.  I
> wouldn't waste any energy debating this issue with a nut like him.  In
> northern Minnesota we have huge lake-filled craters where the big iron
> companies out east came, mined out the iron, sent their money back east,
> and then shut down the companies when it was slim pickings.
>
> Sure, maybe Bob's Paper Products is eco-friendly.  But, by and large,
> the big companies would clear-cut, blow away Old Growth, etc. as they
> always have.  It takes more than the market to save the environment.  In
> fact, it needs to be saved FROM the market, at its root being demand and
> over-consumption.
>
> Joseph Zorzin wrote:
>
> > I just discovered an amazing ultra right wing perspective on
> > forestry on the official Ayn Rand web site. Check it out at
> > http://www.aynrand.org/medialink/forestry.shtml
> >
> > That wasn't just any old essay- it was delivered to the
> > California Forestry Association. I'm sure the author, Peter
> > Schwartz, got a standing ovation for his visceral
> > misrepresentation and obvious hatred of environmentalism-
> > because such ideas actually represent the "party line" of this
> > industry.
> >
> > The really absurd thing about this is that he hasn't a clue
> > about forestry. What he does know, like any politician is what
> > the audience wants to hear- and this is clearly the kind of
> > ignorant stuff the logging industry of America loves to hear!
> >
> > I'm now convinced that what currently in America passes for the
> > "forestry profession" is utterly unreformable. An entirely new
> > profession of eco-forestry should arise. It should not attempt
> > to reform the current brain dead forestry "profession" but go
> > past it and ignore it until its brain rot kills it off. <G>
> >
> > Perhaps Peter will show up in alt.forestry and defend himself. I
> > have cc'd this message to the Any Rand Institute and I hereby
> > challenge Peter to debate his ideas in the newsgroups. I dare
> > him. If Peter replies to me privately, I'll just put his message
> > back into the newsgroups.
> >
> > --
> > Joe  Zorzin
> > http://forestmeister.com