EI: Religion and Forest Conservation - A conference

Jim jcampbell90 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 10:38:26 EST 2000

Among the major religious groups in the world I'm not aware of any that make
forest preservation part of their belief system. No doubt many religious
people have their own opinions, but they don't generally reflect what the
religions have to say about this subject. The only exception I can come up
with is a minor sect of humanists called
Wiccan, to which Al Gore made claim.  They worship the earth, the creation.

As for Christians, the Bible is the guide for religious belief, and it
doesn't offer much protection for trees. In its pages we can find precendent
for silviculture, not preservation, as in Isaiah 44:14
    "He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he
strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash,
and the rain doth nourish it. "

Noah wouldn't have much of an Ark without a lot of trees. Then God Himself
flooded them all for a year, so what can I say more? They are there for
using, as well as enjoying, be it for hanging criminals, producing fruit,
shade & clean air, or paper. They grow back because they make seed, and men
plant them. What is so sacred about that?

I agree. Let a few folks go pray to their trees. Let some people that follow
the Bible or a forestry career use them for what they were created for.
There's plenty for everybody.

Jim Campbell