EI: Religion and Forest Conservation - A conference

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Fri Nov 10 14:14:04 EST 2000

In article <dIUO5.1520$au.18349 at nntp3.onemain.com>,
jcampbell90 at hotmail.com writes:

> Among the major religious groups in the world I'm not aware of any that make
> forest preservation part of their belief system. No doubt many religious
> people have their own opinions, but they don't generally reflect what the
> religions have to say about this subject. The only exception I can come up
> with is a minor sect of humanists called
> Wiccan, to which Al Gore made claim.  They worship the earth, the creation.

Followers of most religions indulge in nature worship from time to time.
Cities are oppressive to the human spirit.  If you want to seek the
presence of something numinous, you have to go elsewhere.

You can talk all you want about Noah's logs and Solomon's loggers, but as
soon as Christians get off the pavement and experiences something larger
than themselves they are as ready to commit tree huggery as any Wiccan.

--
Winners never quit, and quitters never win.
But those who never win and never quit are idiots.