EI: Religion and Forest Conservation - A conference

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Sat Nov 11 21:38:39 EST 2000

Jim wrote:

> >Paul Senez wrote:
> >
> >> =====  A message from the 'ecoforestry' discussion list  =====
>
> Among the major religious groups in the world I'm not aware of any that make
> forest preservation part of their belief system.

"The forest is a peculiar organism of unlimited kindness and benevolence that
makes no demands for its sustenance and extends generously the products of its
life activity; it affords protection to all beings, offering shade even to the
axeman who destroys it."
-Gautama Buddha (quoted by Richard R. Harwood in his foreword to Forest Farming
by J. Sholto Douglas and Robert A. de J. Hart, Rodale Press, 1978).

Of course Buddha was talking about generosity here, not forest preservation.
But how can we destroy such generous organisms?  It must require extreme greed
and callousness.

Regarding other religions that respected forests, see
http://www.daviesand.com/Perspectives/Druids/ for some information on what
Druids thought and felt about forests.  Too bad they got killed off by the
Romans and so-called Christians.

KD