Clinton bars logging on roadless areas

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Nov 18 20:53:08 EST 2000

In article <3A171C54.F919056A at olympus.net>, mhagen at olympus.net writes:

> I missed this one. What's Measure 7?

You can see the text at

http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/nov72000/measures/46.pdf

It mandates that the state reimburse property owners if regulations have
reduced the value of their property any time since they bought it.  My
parents have owned beaucoup property since the 1960's, and state land use
planning laws weren't passed until 1973, so the state owes them the
difference in price between agricultural property and subdividable land.

There are also a whole raft of regulations on rural land, like field
burning restrictions, noise ordinances, etc. that the state will either
have to pony up compensation for or repeal.

Federal regulations are exempted.

Expect the measure to spend the next few years in the courts.  It
obviously violates the equal protection provisions of the US
Constitution, because if your bought your property 5 years ago you get
nothing, while if you bought your property 30 years ago you get rich.

--
English lesson for the week:

You do not "peak" someone's interest, you pique their interest.