[Fwd: BIOD: Fire is Good for Many Forests in the Long Term]

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 20 10:35:29 EST 2000

In article <39EF1999.F9DED5B3 at olympus.net>,
  "Mike H." <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
> A widespread problem in the west is that wild streams are TOO clean to
> support fish populations at historic levels. Fish productivity has been
> found to be closely linked to nutrient levels.  More nutrients > more
> macroinvertebrates > more smolts. Dead, surplused hatchery salmon are
> commonly tossed back into salmon streams (during the run) to mimic the
> fertilization that used to occur in the natural runs.

I know they _used_ to be, Mike. But at least some of the local hatcheries
(at Bonneville Dam, for instance) have taken up surplus hatchery salmon
for pet-food canning, as well as an additional source of revenue. The
Columbia is a pretty large and difficult to explore river. But it has
been quite some time since I saw a dead salmon in it.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.