[Fwd: BIOD: Fire is Good for Many Forests in the Long Term]

Mike H. mhagen at olympus.net
Fri Oct 20 15:17:47 EST 2000

I can't imagine the piles of dead salmon that would be needed to
rejuvenate the Columbia.  In my neck of the woods volunteers fill up a
few pickups and fork em into the coastal rivers. The literature has
picked up on this  - and now F&W makes sure a moderate amount is saved
from conversion to cat food. As with high grading, it's hard to change
old habits.

At least for salmonids - "you are what you eat..."  Makes a difference
to the eagles too.  The forage along our rivers is pretty sparse.