FUNGI AND EARLY TERRESTRIAL LIFE

Rcjohnsen rcjohnsen at aol.com
Mon Oct 23 16:24:52 EST 2000

<< Interesting! I haven't been aware that the date of origin had been pushed
back another 160 million years to the Ordovician era. The last I had
heard, they were reported from club mosses in the Age of Fishes, about
300 million years old, from fossils in British Columbia. BTW, those fungi
were named Glomites, which are still similar to Glomus (Glomales family),
which are actually similar to truffles of today. Glomus are fairly common
endomycorrhizal fungi found with almost all plant life. There are a very
few place on Earth where Glomus are rare. In these areas, corn (for
example) will germinate, grow poorly for 2-3 weeks, then suddenly expire.
Mycorrhizal fungi act as nutrient gatherers and transport water to the
host plants.

According to "Key to the Spores of the Genera of Hypogeous Fungi of North
America, with Special Reference to Animal Mycophagy: (Ten Speed Press, c.
1989) Glomus are members of the Endogonaceae Family. Few of these
truffle-like fungi form visible fruiting bodies, but Glomus macrocarpus
is an exception.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

I know you post articles on fungi in this group and thought you might be
interested.  The article is in PDF format if you're interested.  I have a
colleague(Conrad Thorne) of yours speaking to the Washington County Master
Gardeners group about fungi on May 3rd next year.  MOre and more people express
an interest in fungi and their relationship to plants.  Keep up the good work.
Roger