Bioremediation, forests and fungi

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue Oct 24 03:43:20 EST 2000

In article <39E4CEC1.534CE44A at olympus.net>,
  "Mike H." <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
> A client of mine considered managing for brush, mushroom production AND
> old growth timber (canoe logs), several years back.  Culls from a
> selection harvest in the community forest were to be stacked and
> inoculated with oyster mushroom plugs. It would have been an interesting
> experiment since commercial use of the woods was limited by cultural
> beliefs and proximity to salmon rearing habitat. They stopped short when
> the myco - consultant's fees were felt to be exorbitant. They might
> still do something along that line but are in no hurry.

That's good. Caution is a skill too infrequently used.

I'm a little confused about your post though. What kind of wood was to be
used for canoe construction? Most softwoods (conifers) are _not_ good
candidates for Pleurotus bedlogs. However, almost all hardwoods (beech,
birch, oak, alder, maple, etc) make good mushrooms bedlogs. I would be
very careful about growing Pleurotus in indoor conditions: the spores
load can be very detrimental to your health! Robert Osaki used to have
his own shiitake farm, until the spore load from those fungi started
messing up his lungs. He finally had to stop.

But assuming your designation of forest includes more than one species,
any mushroom cultivation scenario should have 20-40 species of fungi as
potential money-makers. Hardwoods can be inoculated with Lentinula edodes
(shiitake), Grifola frondosa (maitake), Hericium abietis, H. corraloides,
or H. erinaceus (Goat's beard, Bear's Paw, Monkey's Head), Laetiporus
sulphureus (Chicken of the woods), about 15 species of Pleurotus
(collectively known as Oyster mushrooms), Flammulina velutipes (Enoki,
Velvet-Stem), truffles, suillus, boletes, chanterelles, hedgehogs, and
others. Each fungal species has specific requirements/hosts/growth
parameters which would have to be met.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com