David Gossman dgossman at gcisolutions.com
Tue Oct 24 05:23:26 EST 2000

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in message
news:39F4305C.C66F346 at forestmeister.com...
> I just discovered an amazing ultra right wing perspective on
> forestry on the official Ayn Rand web site. Check it out at
> http://www.aynrand.org/medialink/forestry.shtml
>
> That wasn't just any old essay- it was delivered to the
> California Forestry Association. I'm sure the author, Peter
> Schwartz, got a standing ovation for his visceral
> misrepresentation and obvious hatred of environmentalism-
> because such ideas actually represent the "party line" of this
> industry.

Or because extremists within the environmental movement have brought it on
the group?

> The really absurd thing about this is that he hasn't a clue
> about forestry. What he does know, like any politician is what
> the audience wants to hear- and this is clearly the kind of
> ignorant stuff the logging industry of America loves to hear!

Fact is he quite clearly stated the he was not an expert of forestry. Do you
own a forest that you personally manage?

> I'm now convinced that what currently in America passes for the
> "forestry profession" is utterly unreformable. An entirely new
> profession of eco-forestry should arise. It should not attempt
> to reform the current brain dead forestry "profession" but go
> past it and ignore it until its brain rot kills it off. <G>

Have you done this yourself with your own forest? There is in fact
organizations of private small foresters who are quite strong advocates for
sustainable forestry that work hard to benefit wildlife and ecology in
general.

> Perhaps Peter will show up in alt.forestry and defend himself. I
> have cc'd this message to the Any Rand Institute and I hereby
> challenge Peter to debate his ideas in the newsgroups. I dare
> him. If Peter replies to me privately, I'll just put his message
> back into the newsgroups.

Your web site is interesting. I am always amazed that those who identify
when government is causing a problem then suggest that even more government
involvement is the solution. A truly remarkable set of logic.

David Gossman