Paul Bramscher brams006 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:45:38 EST 2000

Well, the basic problem with the environment to libertarians is that (a)
by definition the environment transcends the individual (both in terms
of space and time).  In fact, it transcends nations and generations. (b)
And through many historical examples private industry has been an
ecosystem's worst nightmare.

Letting the market control the forests is like letting a cat be in
charge of the mice, eh?  Eat 'em all up, then move on to some other
tasty morsel that'll feed the stomache.  Birds or squirrels maybe.  I
wouldn't waste any energy debating this issue with a nut like him.  In
northern Minnesota we have huge lake-filled craters where the big iron
companies out east came, mined out the iron, sent their money back east,
and then shut down the companies when it was slim pickings.

Sure, maybe Bob's Paper Products is eco-friendly.  But, by and large,
the big companies would clear-cut, blow away Old Growth, etc. as they
always have.  It takes more than the market to save the environment.  In
fact, it needs to be saved FROM the market, at its root being demand and
over-consumption.