Paul Bramscher brams006 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:59:00 EST 2000

David Gossman wrote:

> Actually governments are the ecosystem's worst nightmare. Corporations set
> up as an artificial and protected extension of government come in second -
> that is not private industry. And I'll bet you think more government is the
> answer...

This isn't the case historically.  Entrenpeurs have out-trapped (beaver),
out-hunted (bison), out-mined (iron in northern Minnesota), out-fished (take
your pick), out-logged (Old Growth, Rain Forest, etc.) wherever they have
trodden for the past 500 years.  Government initially encouraged this practice,
by sponsoring mercantilism and private entrepeneurs.  The BLM still encourages
profiteering in the West: small number of private individuals get rich, while
the national resources get poorer.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see
that "stewardship" means one thing to an environmentalist, for example, and
something completely different to industry.  Compare Lake Erie to the Boundary
Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota.  Industrial "stewardship" vs. big government
stewardship.  I'll take big government, thank you.

Historically the division between corporation and government is generally
fruitless.  The trapping companies in early North America, various trade
companies of the British Empire, etc. were at once "private" and "government".
Today it's more or less the same thing, corporate influence on government has
many of the same dynamics.  By and large, the US government serves large
corporate interests, both in terms of lucrative contracts (power, aerospace and
military especially), but also in terms of direct representation (many
senators/presidents have been or are millionaires from the private sector).

"More government" is an infantile buzzword, totally devoid of meaning.  The
answer is regulations stating very specifically how many parts per million of a
particular chemical can be released into the ecosystem, how much land may be
cleared, which species are protected, etc.  You can straw-man it "big
government".  I'll call it health, stewardship, sound management, and science.

> What are you personally doing to help the environment?

I'm building an online library catalog for a Big-10 research library to catalog
their research collections on entomology, fisheries and wildlife so that the
information will be available to students, researchers, and anyone interested
in the science of this issue.  I buy used items at thrift shops, I recycle
religiously or reuse when I can, I've been a vegetarian for the past 6 years.
I vote Green.  Yourself?