David Gossman dgossman at gcisolutions.com
Thu Oct 26 07:11:38 EST 2000

Paul Bramscher <brams006 at tc.umn.edu> wrote in message
news:39F71154.71306675 at tc.umn.edu...
> David Gossman wrote:
>
> > Actually governments are the ecosystem's worst nightmare. Corporations
set
> > up as an artificial and protected extension of government come in
second -
> > that is not private industry. And I'll bet you think more government is
the
> > answer...
>
> This isn't the case historically.  Entrenpeurs have out-trapped (beaver),
> out-hunted (bison), out-mined (iron in northern Minnesota), out-fished
(take
> your pick), out-logged (Old Growth, Rain Forest, etc.) wherever they have
> trodden for the past 500 years.  Government initially encouraged this
practice,
> by sponsoring mercantilism and private entrepeneurs.  The BLM still
encourages
> profiteering in the West: small number of private individuals get rich,
while
> the national resources get poorer.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to
see
> that "stewardship" means one thing to an environmentalist, for example,
and
> something completely different to industry.  Compare Lake Erie to the
Boundary
> Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota.  Industrial "stewardship" vs. big
government
> stewardship.  I'll take big government, thank you.

You say that government encouraged this and now you want more?

> Historically the division between corporation and government is generally
> fruitless.  The trapping companies in early North America, various trade
> companies of the British Empire, etc. were at once "private" and
"government".
> Today it's more or less the same thing, corporate influence on government
has
> many of the same dynamics.  By and large, the US government serves large
> corporate interests, both in terms of lucrative contracts (power,
aerospace and
> military especially), but also in terms of direct representation (many
> senators/presidents have been or are millionaires from the private
sector).

And you want more of this?

> "More government" is an infantile buzzword, totally devoid of meaning.
The
> answer is regulations stating very specifically how many parts per million
of a
> particular chemical can be released into the ecosystem, how much land may
be
> cleared, which species are protected, etc.  You can straw-man it "big
> government".  I'll call it health, stewardship, sound management, and
science.

Then you better not look to the EPA for the answers. Theirs is the world of
politics, not science.

> > What are you personally doing to help the environment?
>
> I'm building an online library catalog for a Big-10 research library to
catalog
> their research collections on entomology, fisheries and wildlife so that
the
> information will be available to students, researchers, and anyone
interested
> in the science of this issue.  I buy used items at thrift shops, I recycle
> religiously or reuse when I can, I've been a vegetarian for the past 6
years.
> I vote Green.  Yourself?

I own and manage a large farm in eastern Iowa where I am converting the
former pastures into native stands of timber and wildlife habitat as well as
converting portions of the crop ground to native prairie. Professionally I
work all over the world with industry to recycle wastes rather than seeing
them landfilled or worse. The research aspects are nice but the real
satisfaction is planting trees and seeing new, clean facilities built that
benefit the environment.

PS I vote to protect individual rights.

David Gossman