Langrrr Langrrr at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 09:48:16 EST 2000

In article <164412467845479NEWS2LX at news.bitstream.net>,
  John Musielewicz<a123456 at bitstream.net> wrote:
> > And I'll tell you a little story.  Over a year ago, I was fortunate
> > enough to be a part of a symposium at the College of William and
Mary
> > (my alma mater) on environmental justice.  And I was astounded at,
> > among many things, the call for a limitation of information in the
> > democratization of environmental policy, a call made by the
> > environmental justice advocates.  Their belief was that too much
> > information in the hands of the people was dangerously confusing -
that
> > a "battle of experts" would only serve to confuse and placate the
> > people into inaction.
>
> Not unusual, happens all the time in other issues, even though I doubt
> thats what they were saying in this case. You probably misinterpeted
it.
> Can you provide a link to the exact words?

No, there was no transcript provided, though I really wish that there
had been.  Statements like, "there are other kinds of science other
than euro-centric white man's science" would have been immensely
valuable to have on paper.

I didn't misinterpret what was being said.  And for a good balanced
discussion of the problems with democratization of environmental policy
which detach science from policymaking, I urge you to look at "The
Promise and Peril of Environmental Justice" and other associated works
by Dr. Christopher Foreman of the Brookings Institution
(http://www.brookings.edu), some of which has been reposted by me on
this board in the last few months (do a Deja.com power search
for "environmental justice" with me as the author of the posts).

> You fringe partyers
> always misinterpet what you see as the enemy in your paranoic
> delusional world where everyone is out to get you.

Straw man.  Do you understand what that term means?

 - Andrew Langer

--
Any posts by Andrew Langer are his own, written by him, for his own
enjoyment (and the education of others).  Unless expressly stated,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.