Paul Bramscher brams006 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Oct 31 17:16:39 EST 2000

> Langrrr wrote:
>
> > You'll note that the worst environmental degradation has always
> > occurred in media that are not solely owned - national forests in the
> > United States and Russia, oil spills, air pollution.

Except formerly-private superfund cleanup sites, except uranium mines in the
southwest, except iron mines in the north central, except, except, except.
I'm not arguing that no degradation has occured on public land -- the BLM has
opened up the American west to private interests for quite awhile.  The Park's
Service has paved over far too much of our system.  However, to argue that the
worst degradation occurs on openly owned land doesn't really even warrant a
response.  Why should I bother responding to someone who's clearly insane?

> > And yet what's your answer?  More of the same!

Who's arguing for more of that?  Since when have environmentalists run any
environmental protection agency?