Loren Petrich petrich at netcom.com
Tue Oct 31 23:51:38 EST 2000

In article <8tnk1c$kkn$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, Langrrr <Langrrr at aol.com>
wrote:

> > Except formerly-private superfund cleanup sites,
> Many of which are government-owned and are the result of government
> operations, or are otherwise the responsbility of businesses which have
> long been out of existence and are the result of incorrect practices
> which were not known at the time to be incorrect.

   I smell a rat here. A rat in the form of excuses custom-made for
CEI's sources of funding.

> > except uranium mines in the
> > southwest,
> Most of which were on public lands.

> > except iron mines in the north central, except, except, except.
> > I'm not arguing that no degradation has occured on public land -- the
> BLM has
> > opened up the American west to private interests for quite awhile.
> Public lands - tragedy of the commons.

> >  The Park's
> > Service has paved over far too much of our system.
> Tragedy of the commons again.

   Horse manure. These are *NOT* examples of the "tragedy of the
commons", but of lax management on the part of various government
agencies. And lack of government regulation is supposedly commendable.

   Private ownership can easily take the form of "use it up and move
onward", which is what has essentially happened in many cases.

--
Loren Petrich
petrich at netcom.com
Happiness is a fast Macintosh