Oil at $35+

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Fri Sep 8 19:26:09 EST 2000

Don Ogden wrote:

> In a message dated 9/8/00 5:57:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> karl at daviesand.com writes:
>
> << "This breakthrough, made possible by an innovative public- private
>  partnership, is a significant step forward in establishing a thriving
>  bio-based products and bio-energy industry,"  >>
>
> THAT WILL BE BOUND TO PUT MORE SAWS IN THE WOODS AND MORE WOODS INTO THE
> CHIPPER!

Exactly.  See http://www.daviesand.com/Perspectives/Forest_Products/Ethanol/ for
another use of "biomass."  In other words, the biogas plants, biodiesel plants,
ethanol plants, methanol plants, and electricity plants will ALL be competing
for the same "resource."  Not to mention the paper and lumber mills.  Oh, and
they're talking about making industrial chemicals from trees too when the price
of oil gets a little higher.

The only hope for our forests is a severe, world-wide depression which will
bring down the demand for oil and energy in general.

KD