letter to Northern Logger magazine

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Sep 15 04:48:02 EST 2000

Dear Editor of The Northern Logger and Timber Processor:

In your September issue, I see a letter from Gregory T. Rose, a
logger and forest owner, who strongly objected to my earlier
letter to your magazine in which I had called for all logging to
be under the direction of a licensed forester.

I would like to add a few comments. The forestry establishment
of state forestry agencies, forestry educators, the Society of
American Foresters, The Massachusetts Association of
Professional Foresters, The Massachusetts Wood Producers, The
Massachusetts Forestry Association, other forester and forestry
associations in the region, state politicians, the Harvard
Forest intellectuals, the Massachusetts and Connecticut
Extension Foresters, and apparently all environmental
organizations throughout the region are in complete and total
agreement with Mr. Rose.

The Director of the Massachusetts Division of Forests and Parks
Bureau of Forestry, Todd Frederick, has expressed the opinion of
this establishment in a letter to a consultant in which he said
that such an idea (requiring a licensed forester to file logging
plans) is "revolutionary". So, with such strong support, Mr.
Rose can relax and not have to worry about foresters being in
charge of forestry.

--
Joe  Zorzin
Massachusetts Licensed Forester #261