Log Heights

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Sun Sep 17 23:39:07 EST 2000

<TREEFARMER at webtv.net> wrote in message
news:4161-39C5623D-60 at storefull-126.bryant.webtv.net...
> Why doesn't the  Forest Service just mark the trees for sale and then
> open it for bids on the marked timber?

First we need to do an appraisal for how much it will cost to log the sale,
then we need the cruise data and then we can calculate the minimum bid for
the timber. Unfortunately, there are monopolies in some parts of the country
and bidding isn't really very competetive in most places in the west.
Personally, I would prefer that the USFS hire their own quality logging
contractors and sell the logs off the landings. That would take the
potential for "corner cutting" out of the equation and get a better finished
project in the residual stand after logging.

Larry,      just my 3 or 4 cents worth, after my performance bond

--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now