[saf-news] Salvage Rider II

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Sep 21 10:04:44 EST 2000

Tom Giesen wrote:

> Well, here we go again - below is the essence of the Domenici version of the
> Year 2000 Salvage Rider, brought to you in part by your own SAF.

Perhaps it should be renamed the "Year 2000 Salvage the SAF Rider"

> Tom Giesen
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> (Analysis by Mike Anderson, TWS)
>
> A proposed amendment to the FY 2001 Interior Appropriations Act (Title IV
> Hazardous Fuels Reduction, dated September 19) would short-cut environmental
> and public review of salvage timber sales and fuels reduction and just plain
> timber sale projects in the national forests.

No need for the public to get involved with the work of the professional foresters using science.
Yuh, the public are all dummies about such stuff- and just because it's THEIR land is no need for
them to interfere; despite the holy of holies "property rights" which doesn't really apply to them.
(that was a joke)

>   As discussed below, the
> proposed amendment would limit reviews required by the National Environmental
> Policy Act and Endangered Species Act to no more than 90 days.  It would also
> shorten by one-third the time allowed for review of administrative appeals.  If
> enacted, the amendment would be the first time that Congress has imposed
> expedited procedures on national forest management activities since the
> notorious "Salvage Rider" of 1995.

Now if only a consortium of the major enviro groups were MAKING policy for the USFS, by law, none of
this would be necessary. But that would be too intelligent for our lawmakers.

> Summary of Proposed Amendment
>
> The proposed amendment would significantly broaden both the scope and impact of
> the fuels reduction amendment sponsored by Senator Domenici and approved by the
> Senate in July.
>
> First, the amendment would apply not only to fuels reduction activities such as
> thinning and prescribed burning, but also to post-salvage timber sales.
> Section  5(A) of the amendment directs the federal agencies to "establish and
> implement Š expedited procedures Š for decisions to conduct hazardous fuels
> reduction treatments Š and any post-fire treatments within the perimeters of
> areas burned by wildfire, on federal lands" (emphasis added).

Sure, shorten those time frames, but only if the enviros are the policy makers. They think on a
bigger level, then they could issue instructions to the foresters. Only makes sense to me. Then,
when my vision of future forestry education happens, all foresters will themselves be full blooded
enviros too- the real definitive experts on forests- on all levels- including metaphysics. Then all
this feuding will end. It will be the golden age of Ecoforestry. <G>

--
Joe  Zorzin
http://forestmeister.com

"If you can't say something nice, say something surrealistic."
Zippy the Pinhead