Planting Black walnut tree

D. Staples dstaples at
Tue Apr 3 15:57:24 EST 2001

Moderately fast grower, medium to large tree depending on how and where it
is planted, wont harm neighbors but be aware that walnuts have a particular
chemical that wont allow some plants to germinate or grown inside the drip
line. Don't up root it, another tree wont be a great deal different.

Only thing on a walnut is that quite often they will loose a terminal bud
and two laterals will take over and have a "schoolmarm" top.  Walnuts
respond well to pruning, for a tall tree, keep a single stem, for a lower
wider crown clip the terminal bud at some point and spread the crown.

And just think of all those walnut cookies!

Don Staples

For current views on Forestry and the Environment, watch the news groups
bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry.   In additon,