Planting Black walnut tree

D. Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Apr 3 15:57:24 EST 2001

Moderately fast grower, medium to large tree depending on how and where it
is planted, wont harm neighbors but be aware that walnuts have a particular
chemical that wont allow some plants to germinate or grown inside the drip
line. Don't up root it, another tree wont be a great deal different.

Only thing on a walnut is that quite often they will loose a terminal bud
and two laterals will take over and have a "schoolmarm" top.  Walnuts
respond well to pruning, for a tall tree, keep a single stem, for a lower
wider crown clip the terminal bud at some point and spread the crown.

And just think of all those walnut cookies!

--
Don Staples

For current views on Forestry and the Environment, watch the news groups
bionet.agroforestry and alt.forestry.   In additon, About.com/forestry/