FS Guild board of directors election

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Apr 3 18:22:12 EST 2001

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> To Forest Steward Guild members of the Guild's NE list:
>
> I recently got in the mail the ballot for the 2001 FS Guild
> Board of Directors with the campaign statements of the 8 people
> running for 3 positions.

As a follow up of that- I just OCRed those comments by the 8 Guild
director wannabees and post them here, as follows. I'll then do the
usual ranting and raving as I respond to this message. <G> I'm not
sending this into the Guild's NE list unless Steve Harrington, Guild
Coordinator, suggests that it's OK. I don't mind ranting and raving in
NEFR, but I promised Steve I'd be very polite in the Guild lists in
order not to scare any Guilders away, especially since there are a few
burros in the Guild. <G>

I do believe that we need to look at closely and deconstruct what the
Guild director wannabees have to say, since the Guild is the leading
force in progressive forestry for North America.

Forest Stewards Guild Board of Directors 2001 Election

Campaign Statements

Barbara Brusila Western, Maine Current Guild Vice-chair

"The Forest Stewards Guild is becoming a voice for people who hold a
deep respect and love for the forest, while working in it and
caretaking it for generations into the future. As the Guild is
strengthened, so are we, its members, strengthened in our work in the
woods, legislative halls, and public arenas. We are maintaining the
passion and spark which helped create this organization, through the
hard work which comes with growth. I have had the honor of being on the
Board since its beginning in 1997 and would like to continue to be a
part of it. The Guild is one of the best things that's happened in my 2
]-year career of consulting forestry in Maine. It's also one of the
best things that's happened in our forestry profession for many years,
and it gives me hope for our profession and for our forests."

Jim Birkemeier Timber Green Wisconsin

"On our family farm, we have developed a business of manufacturing and
installing FSC certified flooring in customer's homes. We specialize in
rustic grades and unusual species to allow us to utilize the worst
trees first when we do our annual improvement harvest. As a FSC
Certified Resource Manager, Timbergreen Forestry works with landowners
in a number of the new Sustainable Forestry Cooperatives that are
springing up across the continent. My priorities are first to the
forest resource, second to the forest owner (the temporary caretaker of
the land), next to the woodsworkers who do forest management, and then
to the community that surrounds the forest.

I have been greatly encouraged over the past few years to find folks in
the Guild all across the country that are working to restore the future
health and productivity of our forests. Serving on the Board of the
Forest Stewards Guild would be very rewarding and educational."

Jim Drescher New Germany, Nova Scotia

"My name is Jim Drescher. I spend a great deal of my time hanging out
in the forest doing as close to nothing as possible. I also manage the
forest lands of Windhorse Farm and several other woodlots in the LaHave
River Watershed in Western Nova Scotia, operate a sawmilling and wood
products manufacturing business, and direct the programs of The
Maritime Ecoforestry School. My passion is forest restoration and
restoration forestry, which I study and practice on an ongoing basis
and teach here at Windhorse Farm and other places across the country.
An important part of all our education and training programs is
"contemplative forestry", the personal forest practice which deepens
one's natural concern for the welfare of all beings. This is a
foundation on which sane forest practices can be built. Also important,
of course, is mastering all the relevant scientific and economic
disciplines. Finally, the actual work in the forests and mills is what
grounds the vision in practicality.

The Forest Stewards Guild has a very interesting role to play in
nudging society toward sustainability. The practitioners of sensible
forestry are as rare as hens teeth and scattered about in lonely places
and spaces. It is vital that they have, and feel, the support of
like-minded practitioners. This "community" of foresters, encouraging
each other to wake up and cheer up, will have a greater effect on the
future of forestry than the separate individuals ever could have.
Exceptional foresters, learning from each other about how to do it and
how to communicate it, will benefit many beings. I hope so."

Sarah Deumling Rickreall, Oregon

Housewife - Mother turned passionate forester managing 1800 acres of
FSC-certified forest in Oregon's Willamette Valley. My training has not
been formal but an intense, on the job, "learn by your mistakes"
practical education, and my knowledge is limited to the particulars of
the practice of forestry in the Pacific Northwest. I feel strongly that
more and more market control concentrated in fewer and larger
industrial giants is perhaps the biggest negative facing ecologically
sustainable forestry. In light of this I would welcome and work for
growth in Guild membership and correspondingly in Guild influence in
the areas of real * sustainable silvicultural practices and
market-related problems for sustainably produced and/or FSC certified
wood products.

* There is a need, at least in the NW, to honestly and openly talk
about the many definitions of sustainable forestry.

Linwood Gill Ft. Bragg, California

"While studying forestry at the University of Georgia in the early
1980's, I began to question the career path I had chosen. After
spending a few years pursuing other interests, I began working for
Craig Blencowe, a private consultant for small non-industrial private
forest landowners. This experience has confirmed my basic belief that
forestry is not solely about trees. It is about the forest, and how our
activities impact all aspects of the forest. After 14 years of working
with NIPFs, I realize how important they are not only to the timber
base, but also in providing other forest values such as open space,
wildlife habitat, and watershed protection.

I became involved with the Forest Stewards Guild a year before the
group was officially formed in North Carolina. The Guild has allowed me
to realize that there are many forestry professionals who have the same
philosophical beliefs which I have. I do not believe we can change how
forestry is practiced or perceived only by preaching the gospel of
sustainability. Those changes will come by being living examples of
good stewardship. The Guild is the perfect forum for this.

Having been a member since it's inception, I believe I have a strong
sense of what our organization is and where we would like to be in the
future. I have served on the Model Forest committee and for the past
year have been a cochair of that committee. Over the past years I have
served on the Board of Directors for two local non-profit
organizations; a two year term for the Salmon Restoration Association,
which runs two instream hatcheries, and 5 years for Wild Iris
Productions, a group which brings nationally acclaimed folk and
acoustic musicians to the local area.

The Board of Directors of Guild is beginning to enter into a transition
period as some of the original directors step down and term limits
start to take place. I would welcome the opportunity to serve on the
board during this time and look forward."

Fred Clark Baraboo, Wisconsin

Fred Clark is a consulting forester and the owner of Clark Forestry,
Inc., a forestry consulting and services company in Baraboo, Wisconsin.
Clark Forestry is a SmartWood Certified resource management company
meeting the sustainability guidelines of the Forest Stewardship
Council. The company provides forest management services to private
landowners, environmental groups, government agencies and forestry
cooperatives throughout Wisconsin, as well as specialized consulting
services throughout the Lake States. Clark has served as a SmartWood
certification assessor and assessment team leader since 1996. Clients
include the Nature Conservancy, the National Wildlife Federation, the
Wisconsin DNR, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Army.

Prior to entering private practice Clark worked with the Wisconsin
Chapter of The Nature Conservancy, where he led a team assessing forest
biodiversity and land protection needs, and with the Wisconsin
Department of Natural Resources where he provided forestry and
endangered resources planning assistance to private landowners,
foresters, and land managers. He holds an MS in Forest Science from the
University of Wisconsin - Madison.

"The threats facing our forest and natural lands today are such that
our generation will have some of the last opportunities to protect and
restore major areas before they are lost forever due to conversion or
irreversible degradation. The profession of forestry can be,
ultimately, a vehicle to both protect the integrity of our natural
resources and to enhance our local communities. As land stewards we can
achieve these goals by applying our skills to serve the interests of
our clients in ways that promote ecological sustainability and
long-term land protection. I would look forward to helping serve the
Forest Stewards Guild and its members meet these challenges and to do
our part to allow our children to inherit healthy and productive
lands."

Gary Burns Crockett, Texas

Gary Bums is a consulting forester residing in Crockett, Texas. He
received his B.S. in Forestry from the University of New Hampshire and
his M.S. in Forestry (wildlife emphasis) from Stephen F. Austin State
University in Texas. His responsibilities include forest and wildlife
management and timberland appraisal.

"The Guild is in a formative stage. I would hope to bring a moderating
influence to the board - one that is respectful to both the stewardship
of the land as well as to the property rights of the stewards. I would
like to see a clarification of the Guild's principles as well as a
crafting of its direction. I view the Guild as a sounding board for
differing views centering on the best utilization of our forests."

Ross Morgan North Creek, New York Current Board Member

Ross Morgan practiced forestry on NIPFs in Vermont for 29 years. He is
currently with the Resident's Committee to Protect the Adirondacks, for
whom he is developing a forest landowner group that will seek
third-party certification in the summer of 2001. Ross is a founding
member of the Guild and has served on the Board of Directors since
1997.

"Maintaining a focus on the field forester is absolutely crucial. Real
forestry is practiced tree by tree, stand by stand, and ownership by
ownership across the country. There is a considerable amount of work
ahead for the board, including strategic planning, and most importantly
from my perspective the elaboration of the Guild's thinking on the
essential tenets of forestry - I am excited at the thought of being
involved in these tasks at the board level. The Guild has meant a
tremendous amount to me and my professional work, and if I can give
more time to making the Guild prosper I'd be honored to do so."