Free truffle forage

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue Dec 11 06:08:24 EST 2001

On Jan. 19, 2002 Mr. Paul Bishop Sr. will host a truffle forage at his
farm, (22263 S. Dans Ave, Beavercreek, OR 97004) about 3 miles south
of Oregon City, OR along Hwy. 213. This will be a joint forage between
the Oregon Mycological Society and the North American Truffling
Society. There is no fee, but it might be good to contact Mr. Bishop
before you attend at 503-632-6614. Parking is limited to about 30-40
vehicles.

It is possible that Dr. James Trappe will be present at this forage
for the first time in 15 years.<G> He might even be willing to
identify what you find. Dr. Trappe is, for my money, the world's
foremost expert on truffles.

Over the past 15 years, at least 60 species of underground fungi have
been found at this farm, and it is the first site that I attempted to
inoculate truffles at. It has also produced at least 3 species novum,
or species new to science.

Should you decide to attend, bring: yourself, dress for rain and mud,
bring a camera, truffle rake (4-pronged garden rake or hand-held
cultivator rake); pen, boots, and your enthusiasm.

Provided we don't have a heavy freeze before time, I will guarantee
everyone finds truffles. This is not an idle speculation. In previous
forages, people who have never found a truffle before in their lives
have harvested up to 3 pounds in an hour. Truffle production this year
has been poor, but everyone should be able to find at least a few
truffles. There will be, however, no guarantees as to what species
will be found. <G>

Did I mention it was free? This may be the only chance you ever have
of finding your own truffles.

Hope to see you there.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com