PING! dwheeler

William Whatley quasho at nmia.com
Sat Feb 10 09:42:45 EST 2001

Daniel,

I'd like to learn more about the use of a potential fungi mixture that
could be sprayed on chipped forest debris in a controlled experiment to
potentially promote decay, soil development, mycorrhizal associations
and the reduction of post-harvesting fuel loads.  My area of interest is
north central NM, ponderosa forest at a mean elevation of 7,600 feet
(amsl).  Open east, southeastern exposure with slight eastern aspect.
Gambles oak/mixed shrub understory.

I would like to compare a plot(s) treated with the standard logging
technique of lop and scatter to comparative plots where treatment
involved chipping/broadcast spreading of the lop, and then, compare
these to plots where the chipping-spread has also been sprayed with a
fungi mixture.  Additional plots would contain chip-spreading mixed with
indigenous seed to promote ungulate browse...and indigenous seed to
promote wild turkey browse.  All the plots would then be monitored for
three to five years.

Are there any known Saprophytes that affiliate with ponderosa pine or
which may be beneficial to ponderosa in terms of mycorrhizal
associations?  Are there specific parasites that should definitely be
avoided and monitored for?  If we could shoot for the establishment of a
potential food source, which of the ascomycetes would be best suited for
propagation in our region?  Many questions but little knowledge in this
area but I do want to learn more.

Wm. Whatley
Pueblo of Jemez
Walatowa Woodlands Initiative