OT: Nostradamus on Bush

David Gossman dgossman at gcisolutions.com
Fri Jan 5 14:30:49 EST 2001

Scott Nudds <af329 at freenet.hamilton.on.ca> wrote in message
news:933sbt$e8a$1 at mohawk.hwcn.org...
> David Gossman (dgossman at gcisolutions.com) wrote:
> : Yet in our culture, as well as Canada, it is clear that the areas with
> : higher levels of gun ownership have actually lower crime rates.
>
>   Gun Grubbers like Gossman perpetually employ the big lie strategy.

What lie is that Nudds? You certainly have not identified any of these
statements as lies with these posts.

> [...]
> of violent death during times of personal stress. They point out that
> "the median interval between first family handgun purchase and any
> homicide death with a gun was 11.3 years." And they say that while the
> risk for gun-related suicide was highest in the first year after gun
> purchase, this risk "remained elevated even after five years."
>
> The Seattle researchers contend that gun ownership in itself may help
> foster an atmosphere of sudden, sometimes fatal violence. For example,
> handgun ownership was found to double the risk for homicide death, even
> when those deaths came from methods other than gunfire. The Seattle
> experts believe that handgun purchasers are either more predisposed to
> violence per se, or are "encouraged by their ownership of a gun to
> engage in activities that increased their risk for homicide by any
> means."
>
> They are quick to point out that the GHC members in the study do not
> reflect the young, black, male 'gun culture' as often depicted by the
> media. In fact, GHC members are more often white, more often female, and
> "predominantly middle class." The researchers believe findings of raised
> firearm-related death risks in such a population may help refute claims
> that "firearms might be a risk factor for homicide among the poor, but
> not among others."
>
> In a commentary on the Seattle findings within the same issue of the
> journal, Arthur Kellermann, director of the Center for Injury Control at
> Emory University's Rawlins School of Public Health in Atlanta, says such
> studies "suggest that the risks associated with keeping a gun in the
> home outweigh the potential benefits."
>
> Kellermann believes that firearm manufacturers are misleading the
> American consumer with advertising akin to that disseminated for decades
> by the tobacco industry. In the same way that many accuse tobacco firms
> of advertising the 'pleasures' of smoking while ignoring its risks to
> health, Kellermann says "firearms industry (advertisements)... imply
> that a home is not 'safe' unless it is protected by a handgun.
> Ironically, the evidence points to the contrary."
>
> He cites a 1995 study of Atlanta home break-ins, which found that "a gun
> was used to repel the intruder in only 3 (of 197) instances." Many times
> the intruder was himself able to reach (and use) a firearm intended for
> household 'protection.'
>
> Kellerman believes intruders may be less of a threat than family members
> themselves. "The gun that is kept unlocked and loaded can also be
> reached by a curious child, an angry spouse, or a distraught teen," he
> says.
>
> Still, Kellermann hopes research like the Seattle study may lead to a
> time when "fewer Americans will choose to keep or carry a handgun, and
> the rate of death from firearm-related injuries will decline." SOURCE:
> American Journal of Public Health (1997;87(6):910-912, 974-978)

Nudds knows that correlation is not causation. I suspect that he also knows
that it is not the guns that cause violence but rather more likely that
those predisposed to violence or perhaps subject to threats of violence are
more likely to provide for their self defense and /or arm themselves. Of
course banning guns would simply make it impossible for the law abiding
citizen to defend themselves. Could this be Nudds real objective?

> Study: U.S. Outstrips 35 Nations in Gun Deaths - Apr. 17, 98
> - Reuters -
>
> ATLANTA - The United States has the highest rate of deaths from firearms
> of 36 nations around the world, federal health officials say.
>
> The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the firearm
> death rate in the United States was 14.24 per 100,000, a figure that
> includes accidents, suicides and homicides, the highest of any of the
> nations in the study.
>
> Japan had the lowest rate, with 0.05 deaths per 100,000 population.
>
> The United States also had the highest proportion of firearm-related
> suicides and was among the countries with the highest proportion of
> homicides caused by firearms.
>
> The United States had the third-highest rate of accidental firearm
> deaths, with 0.62 per 100,000. Mexico had the highest rate, with 1.32
> per 100,000.
>
> For their study, published in the International Journal of
> Epidemiology, researchers with the CDC's National Center for Injury
> Control and Prevention obtained statistics from 36 countries. The data
> generally covered a single year between 1990 and 1994.
>
> After the United States, Brazil had the second-highest firearm death
> rate, with 12.95 deaths per 100,000 population, followed by Mexico and
> Estonia, which also had rates above 12 per 100,000.
>
> Overall, the researchers said firearm mortality rates were 5 to 6
> times higher in the five countries studied in the Americas than they
> were in Europe or Oceania and were 95 times higher than in the five
> Asian countries included in the study.
>
> The study included five countries in the Americas -- Canada, the
> United States, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.
>
> The CDC said a firearm was involved in 80 percent of deaths classified
> as homicides in strife-torn Northern Ireland, 74 percent of homicides
> in Italy and 71 percent of murders in the United States.
>
> Researchers said the firearm-related suicide rate in the United States
> was 5 times higher than in other high-income nations.
>
> The 36 countries in the survey reported 88,649 firearm deaths during
> the one-year study period. In 1993, a firearm was involved in the
> deaths of 39,395 people in the United States and firearm injuries were
> the seventh-leading cause of death.
>
> Federal health officials have said that, based on past increases,
> firearm-related injuries could become the leading cause of death
> attributed to injury by the year 2003, surpassing injuries due to
> motor vehicle crashes.

Nudds fails to show any concern for the welfare of the 1 to 2 million
Americans who use a gun each year to defend themselves. He has failed to
provide a straight answer on the issue of whether or not he would use deadly
force to protect his spouse of child. As such his posts simply further
identify him as a hypocrite - typical Nudds.

David Gossman