suggestions for deciduous substitution?

Martin E. Lewitt lewitt at swcp.com
Fri Jan 12 07:17:39 EST 2001

Recent research reports that North American evergreen
forests rather than fighting global warming as carbon sinks
may be contributing to global warming by absorbing more
heat  in the winter because they are less reflective of
sunlight than the winter snow cover.

Accordingly I would like to do my bit and cut down the
evergreens on my property and replace them with deciduous
trees.  I live in New Mexico on a ridgetop at 7070'
elevation right where the juniper and pinion transition
to ponderosa pines.  The only deciduous trees I see
around are locally called "scrub oak", they don't
get much taller than a man.

Where could I find out the possible selections of trees
that might do well at my site?

Also, why is the lumber industry so focused on evergreens,
are there any good or even mediocre deciduous alternatives?

                -- thanx, Martin
--
Personal, not work info:         Martin E. Lewitt             My opinions are
Domain: lewitt at swcp.com          P.O. Box 729                 my own, not my