From the Ashes

William Whatley quasho at nmia.com
Fri Jan 19 00:19:44 EST 2001

My crews have been running timber salvage operations on the Cerro Grande
Fire in New Mexico (Remember Los Alamos!).  Whenever possible, we pile the
slash and load it on the grapple truck then move it to areas where burned
soils are heavily eroded. We then push it through a  9" chipper and
broadcast it over the fragile areas.  What we don't move, we crush with a
small 555 tracked skidder. It seems only logical to me that standard slash
piling at knee height may actually add to the potential fuelloads and aid
the sustainability of wildfire.  Slash piling at one foot or less would seem
more reasonable.

William Whatley
Walatowa Woodlands Initiative