How to prepare for the coming wildfire?

William Whatley quasho at nmia.com
Fri Jan 19 00:37:43 EST 2001

I would suggest creating a fuelbreak around your property, regardless of
their proposed burn.  What is often used is a three-concentric zone
approach with about 30 feet out from the structure being totally cleared
of all flammables, then 30 to 60 feet out being cleared of brush, ground
debris and dense stands of trees, then 60 to 90 feet out being thinned
of major timber.  Ideally, I would not recommend having any large timber
within 75 feet of the structure, even more if you have trees in excess
of 75 feet.   Last but not least is eliminate flammable roofing if you
have it.  By the way, call the USFS and express your concern and ask
them to come to your property for a "wildfire/urban interface
assessment". They actually have some great people whom can help you
address your concerns and increase your safety. If you are not to far
from Santa Fe, you can send me an e-mail and maybe we can help.

William Whatley
Walatowa Woodlands Initiative