How to prepare for the coming wildfire?

William Whatley quasho at nmia.com
Sun Jan 21 09:29:58 EST 2001

Martin,

Any mitigation measure is better than none at all.  As you probably have seen at
Los Alamos, the big ponderosas literally "exploded" because the fire created its
own storm, was extremely hot and moved extremely fast is some areas. The burning
debris were ejected considerable distances and came in contact with other trees
as well as architectural structures.  In many areas, the fire storm was a crown
fire that moved through the top of the trees.  If there were "ladder" fuels for
the crown fire to move up...or down...those opportunities were usually readily
taken by the fire.  In fact, during Cerro Grande recovery, I noticed debris
around big ponderosas that had been ejected 70 feet causing spot fires where they
landed.  As for the asphalt roofing, a house over by Tramway and Central caught
fire the other day and burned fast simply because the roofer was using a
hand-held propane bottle torch to heat a ball of asphalt for a simple repair on
the clients asphalt roof. One spark in the wrong place and asphalt will burn
rapidly.  As you probably already know, in a wildfire storm, it is difficult to
breath not just because of the heat but also because the air is full of hot
sparks. I'm getting ready to build up in the Jemez. The Cerro Grande has made me
completely rethink my structural layout and site design plans.

William.