[Fwd: FORESTS: Amazon Worth Hundreds of Billions of Dollars]

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sat Mar 24 09:04:38 EST 2001

Karl Davies wrote:

> If Amazon forests are worth so much for ecosystem services, I wonder how
> much North American forests are worth.  Granted, they've been
> high-graded and otherwise abused for centuries, but there are still
> trees in them.

(most snipped)

And if we in North America BEGAN to properly manage all our woodlands,
except those put aside as parks, wilderness, old growth reserves, etc.- then
we could produce all that we'll ever need without importing wood from the
tropics. Meanwhile we should indeed pay those nations that have tropical
forests to maintain them. We should figure out what the woodchucks claim
COULD be the profits by exploiting the timber value- then GIVE that money to
those nations TO NOT CUT THE RAIN FORESTS- we can get the money by reduction
of the vast military budgets of the major nations.

--
Joe Zorzin
http://forestmeister.com/

Edward Abbey's Web