Timber Value vs "Agroforestry" Value

David Kipling dkipling at bcit.ca
Wed Oct 3 13:37:52 EST 2001

dwheeler at ipns.com (Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message news:<6dafee1b.0110021923.2b5aec88 at posting.google.com>...
> dkipling at bcit.ca (David Kipling) wrote in message news:<802bbd04.0110021209.16d8bf96 at posting.google.com>...
> > I once saw some rough calculations that sought to show that during a
> > 100-year rotation the dollar value of pine mushrooms in a given
> > Pacific North West old growth habitat exceeded the dollar value of two
> > x 100-year-old red cedar harvests on the same hectarage.
> >
> > Does anyone have, or recall, such calculations?
> >
> I remember the study David. But don't have the citation.
>
> The study(ies?) was done in southern Oregon by graduate students
> attending Oregon State University. The study I saw would have been
> done about 1994 or later, since it quoted prices for retail matsutake
> (Japanese for pine mushrooms, aka Tricholoma (= Armillaria)
> magnilevare) at its highest recorded point. I don't know of the
> reference to two 100-year-old Western red cedar harvests in the study.
> But there was reference to the Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) which
> most of the mushrooms were found with, and their comparative value.
>
> I would be terribly surprised if any study compared cedar harvest(s)
> to mushrooms income, since Thuja plicata has no known mycorrhizal
> partners to my knowledge.

****  Daniel, thank you very much for the prompt and learned reply!  I
am not a botanist or forester, and I was probably stabbing at "red
cedar" as a catch-all category to connote valuable timber.

Certainly the temporary sky-high Japanese market got a lot of people
excited (In North West BC some handguns were brandished at various
sites!).  Maybe 100 annual harvests of perfect mushrooms(top market
price requires perfect mushrooms)at top price makes the exchange for
timber worthwhile.  I will go hunt some more (for data, not for
mushrooms)  Thanks again.  DK, Canada ****

eIt is the only cedar that _does not_ form