Preserving tree slices

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Sep 20 10:11:49 EST 2001

dr_smug at yahoo.co.uk (Ken Baker) wrote in message news:<3ba9bb76.11111010 at news.cable.ntlworld.com>...
> Hi:
>
> I'd like to preserve a slice from a large tree which was just cut
> down, and I wondered what the best way of drying the slice was to
> prevent cracking?
>
> The tree was a Horse Chestnut (conker) tree, if that makes any
> difference.
>
> Any dendrochronologists (or anybody) able to give me advice?
>

> Many thanks in advance..

You might want to post to woodworking ng as well Ken.

Dry the slice slowly. Most cracks occur from too rapid dehydration.
I'd put it on the north side of a building and cover it with plastic
for the first 2-3 months. Even that won't guarantee no cracking. You
may even want to put a damp (not wet) cloth over both cut surfaces to
slow dehydration.

Sorry this isn't more specific. But the problem gets much worse the
larger the slice.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com