Preserving tree slices

Uwe Müller uwemueller at snafu.de
Fri Sep 21 05:05:31 EST 2001

Hi Ken,

try soaking the wood thoroughly in a solution of household sugar and water,
weeks, months, depending on size and thickness. After the water inside the
cells is replaced by the sugar-water solution the sugar will stabilise the
cell walls while drying.

I have not done it myself, but know this method is used professionally. It
is faster and cheaper than soaking with PG, sugar isn't poisonous or
harmfull and will give protection against bacteria and fungi, remember
candied fruit?

Have fun

Uwe Mueller

news:3ba9bb76.11111010 at news.cable.ntlworld.com...