Preserving tree slices

Ken Baker dr_smug at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 17:01:06 EST 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:52:15 GMT, dr_smug at yahoo.co.uk (I) wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I'd like to preserve a slice from a large tree which was just cut
>down, and I wondered what the best way of drying the slice was to
>prevent cracking?
>
>The tree was a Horse Chestnut (conker) tree, if that makes any
>difference.
>
>Any dendrochronologists (or anybody) able to give me advice?

That's all interesting advice, thank you.

The slice in question is about  1m in diameter, and 10cm thick, and I
only have access to domestic equipment, so drying in a microwave or
conventional oven isn't on the cards. Soaking something that size
would be a bit of a pain, and I'm not sure I could afford that much
sugar, or PEG. 8-)

I think I might go for the slow drying approach, and (regularly)
painting it with oil would slow down evaporation as well as being
absorbed. I'd like to varnish it afterwards, but I'll cross that
bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again, all, for the advice,

Ken.