Preserving tree slices

Eric Stevens stevense at clear.net.nz
Fri Sep 21 21:52:48 EST 2001

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:01:06 GMT, dr_smug at yahoo.co.uk (Ken Baker)
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:52:15 GMT, dr_smug at yahoo.co.uk (I) wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>I'd like to preserve a slice from a large tree which was just cut
>>down, and I wondered what the best way of drying the slice was to
>>prevent cracking?
>>
>>The tree was a Horse Chestnut (conker) tree, if that makes any
>>difference.
>>
>>Any dendrochronologists (or anybody) able to give me advice?
>
>That's all interesting advice, thank you.
>
>The slice in question is about  1m in diameter, and 10cm thick, and I
>only have access to domestic equipment, so drying in a microwave or
>conventional oven isn't on the cards. Soaking something that size
>would be a bit of a pain, and I'm not sure I could afford that much
>sugar, or PEG. 8-)
>
>I think I might go for the slow drying approach, and (regularly)
>painting it with oil would slow down evaporation as well as being
>absorbed. I'd like to varnish it afterwards, but I'll cross that
>bridge when I come to it.
>
>Thanks again, all, for the advice,

Wrap it in plastic (but not tightly sealed) to inhibit the loss of
water vapor from its surface and then place it on a flat surface in a
cool shady place, such as under a house.

Eric Stevens

There are two classes of people. Those who divide people into
two classes, and those who don't. I belong to the second class.