arts, herbs, forest project ...

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue Sep 25 08:57:02 EST 2001

bh295 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Lee Murray) wrote in message news:<9op0pk$gb1$1 at freenet9.carleton.ca>...
> The plan is to raise enough money as well as ongoing interest
> in the Kentucky forest, through future years, to support and maintain
> the forest.
>
> Arts, and wild herbs, are two areas of activity and interest. It is desired
> to have members/supporters from other places, as well as locally.
>
> Arts productions that invite new young artists can be a source of
> funding, as well as getting new young people involved in the forest project
> as time goes on.  How do we involve people who live far away, in other
> countries, etc., so they want to participate, and feel connected
> to the project?  How can we share the inspiration of the forest with
> artists at a distance? Writers, graphic artists, theatre, music, etc.?
>
> Wild herbs could possibly create funding, but only with intensive site
> management. How can we help people to feel a sense of investment in
> the wild herbs habitat (the forest) when they live far away?
> How can it work to have some local members, and some who live far away,
> with interest in the wild herbs?
>
> Your thoughts are invited. I've started the new mailing list,
>  skyrock at coollist.com    if you want to subscribe at the webpage,
> www.coollist.com,
> "Join a new mailing list" (on the right screen and down partway.)
> When you get there, type in 'skyrock'.
>
> Thanks, Lee bh295 at ncf.ca
Herbs are not the only potential source of income, Lee. Fungi are
probably more valuable. Depending on the age, variety and soils
present, truffles and other mushrooms may well have considerable value
on the site. For example, T. lyonii is known from Kentucky, as well as
north, south, east, and west of the state. Potential host trees are
many, and include hawthorne, basswood, oak, pecan and shagbark
hickory, among others. This fungus should logically be found at this
time of year, and continue into November or December at least.

There is certainly demand for the product, although the research for
it is still in its infancy. At least one pecan plantation in Georgia
has found commercial quantities of it, and has been selling it for
$100-300/lb. I am interested in getting at least several pounds of it
myself, if I can find a provider at $100/lb. or less.

T. lyonii should be near the surface of the soil, be dusky
reddish-brown, and can be distinguished in the field from its
distinctive aroma (similar to milk, when mature) and it's exterior
openings leading into the center, or gleba. These openings are rather
distinctive in the truffle world.

As much as 1.5 pounds per man-hour have been found in the past, with
truffle sizes ranging from nickel-diameter size (probably not of
economic interest) to nearly 3.5 inches diameter or more (certainly of
economic interest).

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com