Environmentalists Want To Save The Forests From Logging by Burning Them

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Aug 29 01:30:39 EST 2002

jamesjosephbriggs at yahoo.com (flamestar) wrote in message news:<506ee3c0.0208280839.39aeee7a at posting.google.com>...
> Likeing fire and accepting are different.  However if you wish to
> claim that that is your position then it is up to you to state it. The
> Sierra Club site likens fire to sunshine and rain. Sunshine and rain
> are generally thought to be good things if there is another
> interpation then the Sierra Club is doing a poor job of communiating.
> Again I have give people chance after chance to make the point you did
> and they didn't do it until now.
I have been _in_ too many fires to like them, James. The Sierra Club
may do what they like.

I grew up on a ryegrass farm. We burnt the fields each year. It
sterilized the fields and decreased the incidence of a rust. It also
provided a sort of instant fertilizer for the new shoots.

And I also remember watching 80 foot tall Douglas fir and Grand fir
burn completely within 5 seconds. Even from 150 feet away the heat was
intense. And the burning cinders thrown off by those trees (which were
on my parents' property, by the way) quickly spread the fire.
Fortunately, there was not the 40 mph winds which have plagued the
Biscuit fire, as well as the fire near Hood River (OR) this year.

I have an aunt who has permanent scars suffered while on top of a fire
truck in one of those field fires. I'm unlikely to remember how
devastating fire can be, especially since it is a near miracle that
she survived at all.

A cousin saved himself when the fire rig he was driving stopped, with
40-foot flames rushing toward him from all sides (this happens when
you are in the middle of a field fire), and _no_ way of getting away.
Fortunately, the fire hose pump continued to work, and he kept the
hose pumping constantly. That saved him (and the truck btw).

*Like* fires? I think that may be too polite for what I think of
fires.

But I also accept fires are necessary for many forest trees. Knobcone
pine will not release seeds until the heat of a forest fire releases
them. Lodgepole pine regenerates better after fire than under other
conditions I am aware of. These are biological facts.

And possibly, I have been in a few more fires than you have. I can't
remember one I *liked.* But I _can_ accept them.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com