growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 08:59:42 EST 2002

In article <3fb94ad1.0212110524.110871b1 at posting.google.com>,
ttq987 at yahoo.co.uk (ttq987) writes:
|> thanks to all for help & suggestions
|>
|> am planning to go ahead & give it a shot ... although it does not get
|> very cold near bombay... & has very slim chances of growing
|>
|> most sources seem to be good, but the link that clear cut has posted
|> seems to be quite a reliable source for getting seeds
|> http://www.fire.ca.gov/ResourceManagement/StateNurseries.asp
|>
|> Polar, I may not be around when & if this tree ever grows fully.. but
|> will feel good even if it starts growing .... :)

It apparently isn't too hard to grow from seed, but it MUST be
planted in a soil-based compost.  The reason that the trees need
fire is to clear the needle debris so that the seeds can
germinate.  I think that they can get though only a fraction of
an inch before they must reach soil.

There are a fair number in the UK, but it is really a bit cold
and wet for them - note that this means summer, not winter.
My guess is that it might survive once it gets established, but
the problem will be doing that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679