growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

Pam grdngal48 at attbi.com
Thu Dec 12 22:01:03 EST 2002

James wrote:

> That seems to be the nature of everyone who goes somewhere and sees
> something growing that is spectacular. ie. To try growing it back home. Go
> for it. I undestand they succesfully started some in Scotland several years
> ago. Whether they still survive, I don't know.

If by several years, you mean 1853, then yes, they can be grown successfully in
Scotland :-)) There are MANY giant sequoias in Scotland and elsewhere in the
British Isles, including some very large specimens  - like one that is 150' tall
with a trunk circumference of 36 feet. They also grow successfully in most parts
of northern Europe as well as the more temperate portions of eastern Europe. It
is estimated there are about 10,000 etablished and mature giant sequoias in
Europe including one that is at the most northerly recorded latitude for the
species at Songe Fjord in Norway that was planted in the 1880's. There also
giant sequoias located in Spain (two very large specimens), Turkey, Lebanon,
Egypt, Israel, Japan, South America, and Austrialia and New Zealand, where they
thrive.

With this diversity of locations, questions have been raised about the
limitation of its native range and habitat. Apparently outside of its native
Sierra Nevada, the giant sequoia is unable to re-seed itself by natural means.

I'd second the idea to go for it - in warmer climates the secret for its
successful establishment appears to be regular and frequent watering.

pam - gardengal