Stars Wars logging machine?

Larry Harrell lhfotoware at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 22:40:55 EST 2002

Mhagen <mhagen at nospamolympus.net> wrote in message news:<uvk4sokbqsa361 at corp.supernews.com>...
> Larry Harrell wrote:
> > I just got a pic and a very short video clip of a new feller buncher
> > which has no wheels. It looks like a bug with six legs and a boom arm.
> > It also looks like it can handle steeper ground with no damage to
> > soils. This machine looks rather slow but is really cool to look at. I
> > don't think it has as many uses as a standard cut-to-length processor
> > and how would you get the logs off of that steeper ground?
> > (helicopter?)
> >
> > I can email anyone a pic but the video is too dang huge for me to send
> > over the Internet.
> >
> > Larry
>
> Is this an old machine or a new one?  We had a Spider working in this
> area about twenty years ago.  The description fits.  It's basically a
> back hoe frame and engine, with hydraulic legs and a cutting tool on an
> arm.  Very interesting to watch work on a steep slope.  The actual name
> was a "something" Superhoe. Made in Norway.  The same rig was converted
> afterward to a backhoe with thumb, two legs and drop down wheels, and
> used for in-stream restoration jobs. It's in Grays Harbor county now.

It is brand spanking new but probably an old idea. The six legs help
it balance on steeper ground and the boom is centered. At first, the
video looked like a fake but, I've gotten this from two different
sources.

Maybe the PNW can thin steeper ground, after all. I can't see it being
very economical, with it being pretty slow and with no forwarder to
deal with the logs. Just another "cool tool" at the forester's
disposal <G>

Larry