growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Dec 13 23:07:12 EST 2002

In article <3DF94EAD.552AF378 at attbi.com>, Pam  <grdngal48 at attbi.com> wrote:

>With this diversity of locations, questions have been raised about the
>limitation of its native range and habitat. Apparently outside of its native
>Sierra Nevada, the giant sequoia is unable to re-seed itself by natural means.

I've read that before the ice ages started a couple hundred million years ago,
the world had a climate that varied much less with latitude.  Not only was
Antartica heavily forested with Nothofagus spp., but the entire north circum-
polar area, which is now mostly tundra and scrubby boreal forest, was covered
with sequoia forest.  It's kind of mind-boggling to imagine such a forest, eh?