growing GIANT SEQUOIA- Sequoiadendron giganteum in India

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Dec 14 10:22:42 EST 2002

In article <TOzoFKAhXw+9EwfC at meden.demon.co.uk>,
Stewart Robert Hinsley  <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <2002Dec13.230712.25480 at jarvis.cs.toronto.edu>, Beverly
>Erlebacher <bae at cs.toronto.edu> writes
>>
>>I've read that before the ice ages started a couple hundred million years ago,
>>the world had a climate that varied much less with latitude.  Not only was
>>Antartica heavily forested with Nothofagus spp., but the entire north circum-
>>polar area, which is now mostly tundra and scrubby boreal forest, was covered
>>with sequoia forest. It's kind of mind-boggling to imagine such a forest, eh?
>
>The base of the Pleistocene is about 2m years ago, tho' the climatic
>cycles started earlier. Antarctica has been glaciated for longer, but
>more of the order of 20m years than 200m. OTOH, I wouldn't be too
>surprised to find relatively recent records of forests in the Antarctic
>Peninsula.

Cripes.  I *meant* to say "a couple hundred thousand", but I'm off by an
order of magnitude or two either way.  I shouldn't post late on a Friday
night after a hard week...

I guess it was the latest advance of the ice (of four in this set) that began
about 200,000 years ago, or maybe I'm digging myself deeper here...

A few years ago I read a book that had maps showing climatic zones and
corresponding dominant flora reconstructed from the fossil and pollen
record for parts of the Cenozoic.  Way cool.  Unfortunately I can't remember
the title or authors.

Thanks for the correction.  We need alert people like you to catch the goofs
of dozy people like me!