Stars Wars logging machine?

Mhagen mhagen at nospamolympus.net
Sat Dec 14 14:22:16 EST 2002

Larry Harrell wrote:
> Mhagen <mhagen at nospamolympus.net> wrote in message news:<uvk4sokbqsa361 at corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Larry Harrell wrote:
>>
>>>I just got a pic and a very short video clip of a new feller buncher
>>>which has no wheels. It looks like a bug with six legs and a boom arm.
>>>It also looks like it can handle steeper ground with no damage to
>>>soils. This machine looks rather slow but is really cool to look at. I
>>>don't think it has as many uses as a standard cut-to-length processor
>>>and how would you get the logs off of that steeper ground?
>>>(helicopter?)
>>>
>>>I can email anyone a pic but the video is too dang huge for me to send
>>>over the Internet.
>>>
>>>Larry
>>
>>Is this an old machine or a new one?  We had a Spider working in this
>>area about twenty years ago.  The description fits.  It's basically a
>>back hoe frame and engine, with hydraulic legs and a cutting tool on an
>>arm.  Very interesting to watch work on a steep slope.  The actual name
>>was a "something" Superhoe. Made in Norway.  The same rig was converted
>>afterward to a backhoe with thumb, two legs and drop down wheels, and
>>used for in-stream restoration jobs. It's in Grays Harbor county now.
>

> It is brand spanking new but probably an old idea. The six legs help
> it balance on steeper ground and the boom is centered. At first, the
> video looked like a fake but, I've gotten this from two different
> sources.
>
> Maybe the PNW can thin steeper ground, after all. I can't see it being
> very economical, with it being pretty slow and with no forwarder to
> deal with the logs. Just another "cool tool" at the forester's
> disposal <G>
>
> Larry
  It was designed to do high angle thinnings in doghair DF and WH. Stand
ages were 90-120 and slopes were 100%++. Fire caused even aged stands
were common in the Quilcene area.  These days they'd probably use a
running skyline or even multi span.

The trees were cut full length, gathered and bundled. A yarder would
haul the whole bundle up the strip.  The landings were very large but
had a portable chip & saw mill set up. Everything went in one end and
two by fours and chips blew out the other. Hog fuel was selling at a
good price then.  The sales were set up to be a shade over break even -
this was a better alternative than clearcutting the slopes to get some
regeneration.